Tutanota: Private or Business E-Mail Mailbox
Tutanota: End-to-End Encryption made easy
If you have the highest demands on usability and encryption, you should definitely try Tutanota – for free!
Secure Solution for all technical Platforms
E-mails, address book and calendar are stored end-to-end encrypted in Tutanota. When logging in, the mailbox is automatically decrypted locally on your device. For your smartphone there are Tutanota apps for Android and iOS. And for Windows, Linux and Mac OS there is a desktop client. Otherwise, just use your web browser. Tutanota uses symmetrical (AES 128) and asymmetrical encryption (AES 128/RSA 2048) to encrypt e-mails end-to-end.
If sender and recipient use Tutanota, all e-mails are automatically encrypted end-to-end (asymmetric encryption). Encrypted e-mails to external recipients are secured by a one-time password exchange (symmetrical).
Easy to use, absolutely fair
The limited free version allows you to try out the service for an unlimited period of time and makes it easier to decide on an annual subscription with all the benefits. With one gigabyte of storage space in the free version, many users will be able to manage permanently.
After personal testing, you will probably be happy to pay 3.00 EUR/month to upgrade to a Revolutionary annual subscription.
Or, if you are a frequent user with high demands like me, you may decide to take the Legend subscription and thus support the development of Tutanota with 8.00 EUR/month.
Sceptics choose the monthly subscription instead of an annual subscription and pay 3.60 EUR/month (Revolutionary) or 9.60 EUR (Legend).
I have mentioned prices for private individuals here. A family tariff will be added soon, but this is already made possible in an uncomplicated way via the service if someone doesn't want to wait.
There are also suitable tariffs for freelancers and companies.
Tutanota treats its customers absolutely fairly. Tariff changes are possible at any time and are charged in a customer-friendly way.
When, to celebrate 10 million customers, new tariffs were introduced for a limited period with 50% discount, I, as long-time existing customer, received a 50% discount for switching from Premum tariff to the new Legend tariff, just like new customers: Payment of EUR 96.00 + 12 bonus months!
From Hannover (Germany) for the World
The menu navigation is in the web browser and on the smartphone (apps for Android and iOS) in German and 57 other languages, the website of Tutao GmbH is currently available in 33 languages, almost all pages also in German.
Fully encrypted Calendar
Secure e-mail was the primary goal of Tutao GmbH. For this reason, the calendar was not integrated in a preliminary version until 08.07.2019 (since 10.07.2019 in the Apple App Store). An own cloud storage is also planned. Gradually Tutanota will be expanded to an Office Suite.
- Freemium business model with fair pricing (basic service free of charge, more for a very small surcharge, cross-financing by paying customers)
- End-to-end encryption invisibly integrated for users
- Transport encryption with current TLS versions 1.2 and 1.3, PFS and DANE
- location-independent use with very good apps for Android and iOS
- since 31.07.2019: extended spam protection with DKIM and DMARC for own domains (like before for Tutanota domains)
- since 11.05.2020: MTA-STS Support for custom domains with Let's Encrypt
- Aliases with own domain can be deleted and created again later
- Aliases with Tutanota domain can only be deactivated and later re-activated
(quasi name protection)
- Two-factor authentication (2FA) possible and recommended (TOTP)
- Catch-all possible from Revolutionary tariff upwards
- very good individually added spam protection
- very easy to use e-mail filter
- E-mails are encrypted including the subject line (unique selling point!)
- detailed address book with completely encrypted personal data
- fully encrypted calendar, even notifications are encrypted (unique selling point!)
- full text search from Revolutionary version for address book, e-mails (soon also calendar)
- any number of folders can be created
- Storage space: Revolutionary tariff: 20 GB, Legend tariff: 500 GB
- Integration of own domains with SPF: Revolutionary tariff: 3, Legend tariff: 10 domains
- complete offline support: save as many emails as you like locally and log in without an internet connection
- 100% open source
- outgoing e-mails incl. attachments may be max. 25 megabytes in size
- no mail import from previously used mailboxes yet
(coming soon for desktop clients for Linux, Windows, macOS)
- calendar still has much potential for improvement
- No cloud storage yet (quantum-safe cloud storage is now in development!)